Monday, February 11, 2013

Invictus


I have been writing for some 10 years now. Writing is the only solace to my troubled mind. I was addicted to reading since my childhood days with the Treasure Island by R.L Stevenson being one of my favourite read. I was in 10th standard or so when I read somewhere that the character of Long John Silver was inspired by William Ernest Henley. During that time only while reading his works I found this epic work not written but minutely crafted by a brilliant brain. This work has inspired me over the time. Invictus meaning "unconquerable" or "undefeated" in Latin, is the very idea of life. Life can be lived, relished, cheered, enjoyed but is above all sorrows, miseries and fall outs. Few years back i saw a movie with the same title and it was the first time i got to know that this poem was the source of inspiration in the life of one of the wizards of our era, one who gave his entire life for the cause of his country, a brave heart called  Nelson Mandela.

                                                                       
 Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul

  
I have my own interpretation of this poem. I don't know what he meant when he wrote this. But for me this poem describes life in the most pristine form, the different colours of life, the emotions of a soul, the free flowing human spirit, the story of human survivability, the story of every win against odds. I too believe that good and bad are just the states of human mind. Its all about how you react to, how you work upon any situation that decide the outcome of an event. Life is a blank canvas, its you who can put colours to it. Just pour all colours over it, in whatever design pattern you wish, the end result will always be beautiful. Always remember its not the end, if you are dissatisfied with your life. Every life do have a happy ending... :)
So just be yourself and live everyday like there will be no tomorrow. Just be good to your motives and honest in your intentions. Life will return you all one day.




No comments:

Post a Comment